EuskoSare > Euskal Herria > Euskal Herrian bizi > Living in Euskal Herria
2007-07-13 21:25
Itzultzailea: María Verónica Barzola

Living in Euskal Herria

List of the documentation required in order to reside in Euskal Herria.
Passport and Visa

The first document that must be in order is the passport; it must be valid and must not run out within a minimum of 180 days.

Foreigners who wish to enter Spain must have a visa which corresponds to the reasons for their visit, unless they are residents or benefit from the elimination of the need for a visa to enter Spain, due to an international agreement, as is the case of Venezuela, for example.

The following groups of people do not need to present a visa:

  • Nationals from the other member states of the European Union: Germany, Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Portugal, United Kingdom and Sweden.
  • Residents in Spain or any other State in which the Schengen Agreement is in force: Germany, Austria, Belgium, France, Greece, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands and Portugal.
  • Nationals of countries with which Spain has a Visa Suppression Agreement, such as Venezuela, for example.
  • Refugees who reside in any of the Member States of the European Council (created from the European Agreement of 29th April 1959), with the condition of reciprocity and for stays of a maximum of three months.

The countries which do not require a visa to enter Spain are as follows:

  • Germany
  • Andorra
  • Argentina
  • Australia
  • Austria
  • Belgium
  • Belgium
  • Bolivia
  • Brazil
  • Brunei
  • Bulgaria
  • Canada
  • Chile
  • Cyprus
  • Costa Rica
  • Croatia
  • Denmark
  • Ecuador
  • United States of America
  • El Salvador
  • Slovakia
  • Slovenia
  • Estonia
  • Finland
  • France
  • Guatemala
  • Honduras
  • Hungry
  • Ireland
  • Iceland
  • Israel
  • Italia
  • Japan
  • Liechtenstein
  • Lithuania
  • Luxembourg
  • Malaysia
  • Malta
  • Mexico
  • Monaco
  • Nicaragua
  • Norway
  • New Zealand
  • Paraguay
  • Poland
  • Portugal
  • Czech Republic
  • Republic of Korea
  • Rumania
  • San Marino
  • Vatican City
  • Singapore
  • Sweden
  • Switzerland
  • Uruguay
  • Venezuela

Visa Application

Application must be made to the Diplomatic Mission or Spanish Consular Office of the country of residence, and the following documents must be attached:

  • Passport.
  • 3 photographs.
  • Certificate of criminal record.
  • Medical certificate.

It is important to know that:

  • In order to be accepted as an immigrant or temporary or permanent resident, besides the visa, all foreigners must have specific authorisation for the activities they will carry out in Spain and must comply with the stipulations indicated.
  • Airline companies can refuse to board people who do not have a valid passport or visa in force.
  • Travellers must comply with the stipulations of the visa whilst they are in Spain.
  • Tourists cannot work in Spain during their Stay. Sanctions will be imposed on those people who work without authorisation, which range from fines in cash to immediate expulsion from the country.

2. DNI (National Identity Document)
Basic regulating standards

How to obtain your DNI
Documentation required for the application

For the first inscription

  • Two photographs (recent and in colour, with matt or gloss finish and a light, smooth, uniform background; centred, facing to the front with the head bare and without dark glasses).
  • Extract certificate of Birth Certificate issued by the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages for the sole purpose of obtaining the National Identity Document, if relevant, Certificate of inscription of Spanish nationality issued by the corresponding Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages.
  • When the applicant is a minor or is handicapped (with medical certificate), the person who represents them will accredit their address and will show their DNI, of which the number will be registered on the receipt-photo.

For renewal

  • Two photographs (recent and in colour, with matt or gloss finish and a light, smooth, uniform background; centred, facing to the front with the head bare and without dark glasses).

The previous DNI anterior

  • In the event of a change of address as regards the address on the previous Document, Municipal Census, if relevant, Census Certificate (the validity of this document is 3 months from the date it is issued).
  • In the event of a variation in the particulars, Certificate from the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages.
  • In the event of renewal due to theft, loss, damage or because it is difficult to identify the person, the applicant must also fill out a form for this purpose which will be given to them in the office where the application is made, and an extra photograph must be attached, which together with their signature and fingerprint, will act as proof of their identity.

Obligation to register the DNI number in documents and applications

Countries you can travel to with the DNI
Electronic National Identity Document


3. Driving Licence

The new driving licence
The Spanish Government has approved the new driving licence and enables motorbikes to be driven with permit B1.
Driving licence point system. How does it work?
International Driving Licence

It is issued by the International Automobile Driver's Club. It is a translation of the driver’s national licence, which enables them to drive in more than 200 countries without the difficulty of language barriers. All you need to receive this document is a valid licence from your country of origin.


  • Register the patent, the title and the insurance of an automobile.
  • Drive an automobile anywhere in the world.
  • Rent a vehicle wherever you are.
  • Useful as a means of identification.
  • The document is printed in various languages (English, French, Spanish, Russian, Arabic, Chinese and German).
  • It complies with all the requirements of the UN Treaty.
  • Valid for up to 3 years.

Documentation required

  • Valid licence from your country of origin.
  • Colour passport-size photo.
  • Photocopy of the licence from your country of origin.