University of Nevada, Reno

Search our web site:



Information for Visitors

Visa Requirements

Most foreign visitors who are coming to the U.S. for a visit of under 90 days may enter on a tourist visa. The U.S. has mutual agreements with several countries allowing entry as a tourist as long as you have a valid passport; no formal visa is required. Check with the nearest U.S. Consulate to determine if your home country is included in this program.

Foreign visitors who are receiving a grant, travel stipend, honorarium, or any other form of payment or reimbursement from a U.S. source need to have a formal visa. Payments may only be received by foreign visitors under certain circumstances, and the paperwork becomes more complicated. Consult with CBS staff for information on the type of visa that your visit requires. The usual visas that our visitors receive are:

Business (B-1) Visa - This requires a letter of invitation from our University, which the visitor takes (or sends) to the U.S. Consulate in their home country, along with other documents and a fee. Those who will receive reimbursement for travel costs, or will receive an honorarium (for a lecture or other service), must have this type of visa. Receipts and your used airline ticket are required for all reimbursements.

In addition, if the visitor receives an honorarium, he/she will be required to fill out several tax-related documents (even though taxes may or may not be collected).

J-1 Visa (for Exchange Visitors: Visiting Scholars, Researchers, Professors) - The J-1 visa requires a formal invitation from our University which we provide by applying for an IAP-66 document. This document will allow the visitor to apply for a visa through the U.S. Consulate in their home country. The applicant must also show proof of financial means sufficient for the length of their stay, and an application fee is required.

This visa status requires that the visitor (and any accompanying family members) be covered by a health insurance policy with specific terms. If the visitor does not have such a policy, it may be purchased upon arrival in Reno.

Again, if a visitor receives any type of payment allowed under this visa, tax documents will have to be filled out.

This information is by no means complete and should always be verified by contacting the nearest U.S. Consulate in your home country. Also, the regulations and procedures change from time to time.



About Us  |  Faculty & Staff  |  News & Events  |  Frequently Asked Questions | Basque Library & Databases  |  Online Courses | Academic Programs | Studies Abroad  |  PublicationsArt & Culture  |  Visitor Information   |  Grants | Tree Carvings | Oral Histories | Donors  |  Links  | Contact Us