Image of the First Old Hermitage

It would appear that the first hermitage, dedicated to S. Salvador and S. Clemente, was erected in the 16th century. Of that first construction, some rubble sections still stand on the northern wall. The building underwent major modification with the urbanisation of the site in the 17th century, since most of the present-day external walls still exhibit stonework from that time. The sacristy annex was built in 1876.

Image of the Old Hermitage

In 1961, the roof caved in, and the Regional Government undertook the repairs and renovation work, changing the appearance of the portico by erecting four neoclassical columns and eliminating the pulpit and altar.

Although the Cofradía de Gerediaga (Brotherhood) was a civil entity, the hermitage and the field were expropriated by the Spanish State pursuant to the 1841 Disentailment Law, and purchased at auction in 1844 by the inhabitants of Gerediaga, whose descendants transferred it to the General Assemblies of Bizkaia in the year 2000.

Image of the New Hermitage

The sanitation works and interior renovation of the hermitage were completed in 2003, following the pertinent excavation and archeological reports that would define any subsequent actions.