ACADEMICS - Information for Visitors to the Center for Basque Studies

Visitors are always welcome to the Center for Basque Studies.

The Basque Library is available for use by any interested persons, although if you are conducting research it is recommended that you first contact the Basque Studies Library to determine if the collection has sufficient materials available on your research topic, and to verify dates and hours of operation. The Library phone number is 775.682.5590.

The Center for Basque Studies is located on the third floor (north entrance) of the Mathewson-IGT Knowledge Center.


Those who wish to come to the University of Nevada, Reno to pursue a course of study should enter on a student visa. For information on this visa, please see the web site for the Office of International Students and Scholars. The OISS site also has information on lodging, transportation, and the Reno area.

Insurance Requirements for J-1 Scholars

Regulations require all J-1 students and their J-2 dependent family members to have the following insurance coverage during their entire stay in J status:

Medical benefits of at least $50,000 per accident or illness
Repatriation of remains in the amount of $7,500
Medical evacuation expenses in the amount of $10,000
Deductible not to exceed $500 per accident or illness.

Students in J-1 status and their family members must maintain proper insurance coverage as a condition of their participation in the J-1 Exchange Visitor Program. Regulations require Program Sponsors to terminate a J-1 student's participation in the Exchange Visitor Program if the student or a family member willfully fails to comply with the health insurance requirements.

If the J-1 visitor does not have a policy that complies with the above requirements, they may purchase a policy in their home country (if available) or purchase a policy from the University upon arriving in Reno. For the year 2001, the insurance is $275 per semester plus a $57 UNR Health Center fee. The insurance cost is $135 for the summer only. The fee is higher if you include family members on the policy.

Tips for Visitors to the CBS / Basque Studies Library

Here are a few tips to help make your visit easier.

Computer Facilities
Visiting scholars may apply for the use of computer facilities on campus. A computer lab is conveniently located on the first floor of our building, the Knowledge Center. Other computers are also scattered throughout the Knowledge Center. These computers have Internet access and can be used for electronic mail, as well as for word processing.

There are a limited number of Internet data ports available in the Basque Library and Center for Basque Studies offices. If you plan to bring a laptop computer with you, we will try to accommodate you with an Internet hookup so you can read e-mail on your own machine. In order to utilize the University's hookups, you will need a network card (a PC-MCIA 10/100 network card, such as the 3-COMM Fast Etherlink model 3C574TX) for your computer, and a converter cord and plug that will allow your machine to run on U.S. electrical current. These accessories may be brought with you or they can be purchased once you arrive in Reno. We do not have telephone lines available for use with modems.
Since Reno is a popular tourist destination, there are many hotels and motels in the area for short-term stays. However, because of its popularity, reservations should be made well in advance. The first week in August is especially difficult because Reno has a major festival at that time and lodging is almost impossible to find. Please plan your visit to occur before or after those dates, or plan to travel to another area during that time. For longer stays, there are a few places that offer weekly rates, but apartments are generally not available (especially a furnished one) for a period of less than 6 months, unless you pay a premium. It may be possible to find a room in a shared student apartment.

Some lodging recommendations:
Information on Reno and other lodging options can be found on this Reno/Tahoe Visitors Guide site.
Climate Changes
The climate in Reno is very dry, especially in summer, which sometimes causes minor problems for visitors coming from a more humid area. You might want to bring some nose drops or saline solution to prevent nosebleeds, which are occasionally experienced by recent visitors. It is also necessary to drink more water here than you normally might; 2.5 quarts (2.5 liters) a day is the recommended minimum.

Also, Reno's high altitude (about 4,500 feet or 1,500 meters) can cause fatigue for the first week or so while you adjust to it.
Visa Requirements
Most foreign visitors who are coming to the U.S. for a visit of under 90 days may enter on a tourist visa. The U.S. has mutual agreements with several countries allowing entry as a tourist as long as you have a valid passport; no formal visa is required. Check with the nearest U.S. Consulate to determine if your home country is included in this program.

Foreign visitors who are receiving a grant, travel stipend, honorarium, or any other form of payment or reimbursement from a U.S. source need to have a formal visa. Payments may only be received by foreign visitors under certain circumstances, and the paperwork becomes more complicated. Consult with CBS staff for information on the type of visa that your visit requires. The usual visas that our visitors receive are:

  • Business (B-1) Visa - This requires a letter of invitation from our University, which the visitor takes (or sends) to the U.S. Consulate in their home country, along with other documents and a fee. Those who will receive reimbursement for travel costs, or will receive an honorarium (for a lecture or other service), must have this type of visa. Receipts and your used airline ticket are required for all reimbursements.

    In addition, if the visitor receives an honorarium, he/she will be required to fill out several tax-related documents (even though taxes may or may not be collected).
  • J-1 Visa (for Exchange Visitors: Visiting Scholars, Researchers, Professors) - The J-1 visa requires a formal invitation from our University which we provide by applying for an IAP-66 document. This document will allow the visitor to apply for a visa through the U.S. Consulate in their home country. The applicant must also show proof of financial means sufficient for the length of their stay, and an application fee is required.

    This visa status requires that the visitor (and any accompanying family members) be covered by a health insurance policy with specific terms. If the visitor does not have such a policy, it may be purchased upon arrival in Reno.

    Again, if a visitor receives any type of payment allowed under this visa, tax documents will have to be filled out.
This information is by no means complete and should always be verified by contacting the nearest U.S. Consulate in your home country. Also, the regulations and procedures change from time to time.